Isn’t it frustrating? The Brewhouse closed overnight in February this year, and whilst it was well known that the Theatre had been struggling with changes to funding regimes, the management and staff had been working very hard to make ends meet, and then the decision was taken that they could not continue, and the doors closed on following a full house.
Since then there has been much work done to determine a model that could work, and Taunton Theatre Association (an amalgam of community groups that formed after the closure) have been working away at detailing a proposal that represents a commercially sustainable structure to re-open the theatre… If we are successful in being chosen it wont open overnight, there are still some months of work to do, not to mention a significant amount of money to raise to ensure we open with a head of steam … Here is a rough timeline of past, present and future.
● February 2013 Brewhouse Theatre goes into administration
● April 2013 A bid was prepared and submitted to the administrators BDO
● July 23rd 2013 TDBC agree to acquire the lease from BDO
● August 2013 Taunton Theatre Association Ltd is formed as a CLG (not for profit)
● September 23rd 2013 Taunton Theatre Association submits outline business plan to TDBC
● October 2013 TDBC will decide which bids holds water and work with the bidders to develop their plan
● December 2013 Following scrutiny process winning bidders will be notified
● Then the hard work will begin!
Check out our website www.tauntontheatre.org.uk for more information, and to sign up for updates or to join our volunteers database.